"Volunteers play an integral part as committed citizens to help make a difference for our patients, visitors and colleagues at St. Mary as well as build the community we serve."
— Lillian Schonewolf, Director of Volunteer Services
Volunteers work in all areas of the Medical Center and are valued for their commitment, talents, and time supporting the healing ministry of St. Mary Medical Center.
More than 1,000 adult, junior and college volunteers provide over a hundred thousands hours of service annually to St. Mary Medical Center. Volunteers come from all walks of life, including retirees, homemakers, business professionals, college and high school students. Volunteers can be found in almost every department performing duties in clinical settings, assisting with office work, driving our shuttle vans, helping at our Thrift and Gift shops and providing support to our patients and colleagues.
Our Programs include...
• Healing Environment Program: Adult volunteers for our Comfort Companions (No One Dies Alone), Life Story as well as Respite volunteer programs to provide companionship for patients who are in the hospital for longer periods of time. Please contact Joan Portman at 215.710.2131 for additional information.
• College Volunteer Program: Volunteering in Clinical settings.
• Adult: Volunteers over 18 years of age may apply for year-round positions.
• College: College students for year-round positions.
• Volunteens: Teens (16-18 years of age) may either apply for the summer program only or for year-round service.
• Off-Site Crafter: Crafter volunteers are responsible for a large part of our Healing Environments program. This application is shorter and no orientation is necessary for these volunteers to work from home making beautiful Afghans, quilts, and other items for our patients. To be an off-site crafter, please contact Joan Portman at 215.710.2131.
• Pre-Med Program: This program is open to students who have completed their second or third year of college with a GPA of at least 3.2 in a course of study that qualifies for medical school entrance. The pre-med students must commit to 10 weeks during the summer to observe in the operating room, Emergency Department and other ancillary departments. They also are able to shadow doctors in their daily activities. Interview will be held during spring break. The program runs from June thru August.
• Adult Shadow/Observation:
The Volunteer office is open:
Monday through Friday 7:30 am until 5:00 pm
Fax Number: 215.710.5871
Lillian J. Schonewolf, Director
Marie Triglia, Manager Volunteer Services
Stacy Ferguson, Volunteer/Data Manager
Joan Portman, Coordinator Healing Environments
Lisa Bornaschella, Administrative Assistant
Thrift Shop is open:
Monday through Saturday 10:00 am until 5:00 pm
Donations Accepted 10:00 am until 4:00 pm
Gift Shop is open:
Monday through Friday 9:00-7:00 pm
Saturday 12:00-5:00 pm and Sunday 11:00-4:00pm
Kim Bantle-Taylor, Manager
Assistant Director Volunteer Services